Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

Erpelen79... 
HIPComix Artist

Post Erpelen79...
.....is a spammer

So is Addoem8

I've deleted their spam in forums where I can but some forums require others to delete them.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:00 am
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Erpelen79...
Finister wrote:
.....is a spammer

So is Addoem8

I've deleted their spam in forums where I can but some forums require others to delete them.

I'm on it. Thanks Fin.

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Administrator

You can spend an hour a day purging new spam accounts here.

Many of them are in Doc's section of the board. I have to clear out as many as 20 new accounts every morning.

It's war, folks. And I can't see any practical resolution short of updating the forum software to allow admin permission for every post by a new member. And when we tried that function with the existing software, it was a big failure.

Any ideas?

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:25 am
HIPComix Artist

It does seem awfully strange that Doc's section is the one that gets hit all the time; any idea why that is?

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:15 am
Site Administrator

It does seem awfully strange that Doc's section is the one that gets hit all the time; any idea why that is?

He posted the HIP website to many other websites in an attempt to promote the place. My guess is that he linked his specific forum for feedback.

There is also the fact that we're on banners websites like scifisexcentral.com. I think we're getting some targeting from the spammers who frequent that. But that doesn't explain why Robo's forum area is targeted most of the time.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:10 am
Site Administrator

i would imagine that spammers go for the areas that have the highest traffic as well.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

i would imagine that spammers go for the areas that have the highest traffic as well.

True. but I do find targeted spam posts in almost every area, some in very old and unused sections of the forum. It can be very random.

One poster spamming a p0rn weblog has struck with five different accounts over as many days, hitting 5 to 7 different sections of the forum. I haven't seen this person in three days, thankfully.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:48 pm
Forum Moderator

He posted the HIP website to many other websites in an attempt to promote the place. My guess is that he linked his specific forum for feedback.

There is also the fact that we're on banners websites like scifisexcentral.com. I think we're getting some targeting from the spammers who frequent that. But that doesn't explain why Robo's forum area is targeted most of the time.

It's a pretty safe bet that the spam has increased because of the banner sites HIP is now on. The current rash of spammers began right around the time that I went on my promoting spree.

As for why my forum gets hit hardest, that's a good question. Whenever I promote I use the main site URL (www.hipcomix.com), not any individual forum or even the forums themselves.

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Administrator

Timo's logical observation must be in play. Your area is active, therefor, the spammers target where people are looking.

I still believe that a upgrade to a newer build of the forum software might prove to be a smart investment. There must be a way to blunt spammer accounts at the start without creating the kind of mess that the current forum software causes in the admin accounts.

Until then, I'll just keep sweeping the garbage out of the membership list. Thankfully they have taken a break midweek. The posts are way down over the past two days.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:56 pm