Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:44 am

Feedback, or lack thereof 
Forum Moderator

Post Feedback, or lack thereof
In theory it is a good idea to request (or require) that members leave messages pertaining to each comic within the artist's or writer's specific forum. Unfortunately, in practice it seems that the volume of feedback has decreased significantly since that system was implemented. Am I the only one who has noticed this? Is it possible that because members can no longer leave messages in the updates section that they don't bother to seek out the other forums?

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:17 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum Moderator

Post announcements
I think that may help out a lot. Now the next questions is: can you remove the 'announcement' tag from a thread once it's not the newest update anymore? That way it will sink back down with the rest of the threads and only the most recent update will stay at the top.

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum Moderator

No, I don't think that's the case. I think you're doing a fine job and I think I speak for everyone when I say that your help and dedication are much appreciated. It can't hurt to experiment until we find the right format. Sometimes it just ends up being trial and error until we get it right. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs...

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
HIPComix Artist

I agree with Doc, I think Timo's doing a great job - you bring a lot of energy and excitement to the forums, even if the crowd's a little quiet.

My two cents...

I think AgentD's old Yahoo group really was buzzing for a while...back before Yuckhoo started deleting groups for no rhyme or reason.

I think what made that Yahoo group get people active was that it allowed anyone to upload photos; it allowed anyone to create polls and there was one big general forum where everyone could shoot the shit.

I think for a while Timo and Doc's Yahoo groups enjoyed a lot of activity as well...before ebay bought Yahoo and the whole billing service fiascos.

But...I think the Yahoo groups worked to reel people in and get them active and it wouldn't hurt to consider all the ways they were able to connect likeminded people and then create forums where there was high activity.

They even had a way to invite ten thousand other groups to join yours.

My vote would be (for starters) just have a general forum where anyone can shoot the shit about anything that's on their mind.

I'm just throwing these out ...

Another possibility might be to dump the individual artist forums....keep the update forum (keep it at the top) and create themed forums...but not too many.. Like a 'Mind Control' sub-forum and a 'Heroines in Bondage' sub-forum...maybe not, but I think too many sub-forums also might be adding to people not being active.

But I do think that 90% of the people visiting here will probably never say anything. I think most of them are lurkers, but I think the lurkers do pay attention - like reading a newspaper - if there is activity in the forums the lurkers will probably read it and maybe eventually they'll join for a month to see what members get.

That's another thing to consider - a forum just for paying members.

Now putting tape over mouth before more blabbing issues forth :P

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:11 am
Forum Moderator

Post Fin's points
Fin makes a couple of good points. The old Yahoo groups were a great source of free advertising and a great way to drum up interest in the site in an environment that was very easy for the average viewer to get involved with. Hell, I had 700+ members of my group, and entry had to be approved. There are groups out there today who have thousands more than that. It's a shame that Yahoo had to overreact and delete 'adult' groups by the hundreds just because a few jackasses spoiled it for the rest of us.

Another thing that I forget about from time to time is the fact that some people, no matter how much we beg and plead and cajole and prod, just are not going to get involved with the forums. They have their reasons, be they shyness or laziness or lack of time or lack of privacy or whatever. The best we can do is to make the forums as user friendly as possible and try to keep up the conversation. If someone does take the time to write, be sure to respond to their feedback and make them feel welcome and appreciated. That's the only way we'll keep them returning to the forums, and hopefully renewing their memberships each month.

One thing that has come to mind... is it possible that the forums are perceived as being for paying members only? I don't know how many paid memberships we have, but there are only 50 some odd people signed up to the forums. Perhaps we are unintentionally limiting the forum membership by only discussing what is going on in the HIP pay area? If the only people who can be in on these discussions are those who pay to see the site, then we have a catch-22. We can't get people to participate in the forums unless they join the site (so they can see what the discussions are about), yet we're trying to use the free forums to drive up paid memberships.

Does that make sense? I'm fighting a cold so my brain isn't working too well right now...

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW