Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

Introducing...COBRA-WOMAN! 
HIPComix Artist

Post Introducing...COBRA-WOMAN!
She is COBRA-WOMAN!
Possessing the speed and venom of a cobra, the strength and flexibility of a python, and the senses of a pit viper, she wages a one woman crusade against crime in Victory City!
She makes her debut in the debut issue of TALES OF THE CRYPTICVERSE!
http://memberslogin.hipcomix.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=127010

TALES OF THE CRYPTICVERSE takes us back to classic times in Victory City!
So it should be no surprise that in the next update, we will see the heroine that started this epic saga, the original AMERICAN GODDESS!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:02 am
Profile WWW
HIPComix Artist

Post Re: Introducing...COBRA-WOMAN!
Nice update she is very sexy.

She looks like those actress in the old black exploitation movies.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Petty Criminal

Hi!! Mr. Cryptic !!! I have to agree with Mitru on one point Cobra Woman is very sexy!! But your heroines are always extremely sexy!! I thought the story was good, it will be interesting to see what that guy has in mind for Cobra Woman!! Your villains always have clever plans, they are very smart criminals!! Even those i thought Sebastian was very lucky, he did have a clever plan for invading Ishtar home. It will be good to see the original American Goddess again!!
lotchj

Last edited by lotchj on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 pm
HIPComix Artist

I'm glad you liked liked Cobra-Woman! I haven't introduced a new heroine in a while, so it was fun to finally bring her to my audience.

It's funny that she reminds Mitru of a blaxploitation actress, since the original inspiration for Cobra-Woman was watching video clips of another 1970s phenomenon, the 1978 live action Spider-Man TV show. Although the effects were very limited by the technology of the time, and the story wasn't very true to the comic book (e.g. no "with great power comes great responsibility"), the music is really cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8aQvCEn3JU Basically that music runs through my head when I'm working with her.

Cobra-Woman's appearance is based on the internet model/adult star Devon Michaels (I chose not to be too creative in naming her Daryn Michaels). I'm not sure what Devon Michaels' ethnicity is. I've read she is Latin, but I don't know. I fugure Daryn Michaels is of mixed ancestry.

It's convenient that Cobra-Woman is kind of 1970's-ish, since she'll be meeting American Goddess soon, who is herself very much based on another 1970's TV hero :) .

In regards to Adventures of Ishtar, Victory City etc., they are currently offline as part of the reorganization. I'll make an announcement about that soon. Good things are happening!

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Super Villain

Hi there Mr. Cryptic:

This is the second comic in this month that makes an homage to Peter Parker. A journalism student girl bitten by a Deadly King Cobra whom not only does not die, but activates his hidden mutant gene that let her do whatevers a Snake do? And when thanked by a hot innocent bystander says that it was “Just the everyday quality service you get for your local Cobra -Woman (with the hypen!)?

This is really good!

And a villain who is setting up false incidents so he can trap the heroine with his mental control powers? Whow! This is a good, simple plan with chance of working!

I have always thought that this kind of plan that this unnamed villain has could work! I think the comics need more of this kind of writing to substance tension in their stories! And this is only the first issue! Instead of characterization, you have chose to make it interesting with a threat for the very beginning! I’m impressed.

I cant wait to see how this story develops! Thanks!

PD I have watched a dc superheroine show repeteadly, but I never watched the Spider man show, could you spoke a little more of it? I would love to read your opinion!

Hector

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:22 pm
Petty Criminal

HI Mr. Cryptic!! You did it again!! I love the cover with Cobra Woman and the American Goddess, the Goddess is as hot as ever!!! But i was wondering if that was a misprint in the cover gallery??? It said that the next update would be coming in August!! We already had an update for August!! Your updates are only monthly, as least they have been since february.
lotchj

Last edited by lotchj on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 pm
HIPComix Artist

I wrote a fairly long response to your questions, Hector, then I lost it :( . So I'll try to reproduce some of it now.

I'm glad you caught all those references to Spider-Man. I actually surfed the web a bit looking at business slogans to find something analogous to "friendly, neighborhood...," so thank you for noticing my efforts :) .

I enjoyed the 1978 Spider-Man TV show as a child. I think the music is still cool, although I could imagine some people not liking it. It is very 70s, discoish, jazzy music.

The show is better if taken on its own, not in comparison to the comic book. Key elements in the comic book are not a part of the TV show. For example, Peter Parker doesn't have the whole going into show biz, letting the crook get away, Uncle Ben gets killed angle. The only other character from the comic book is JJ Jameson, and he doesn't have a problem with Spider-Man, so that makes him a totally different character. However, if you just take the show on its own, it's a perfectly fine story.

Unlike the movies, Peter builds his webshooter. It's like a big bracelet, and he only wears one. As I recall, In the pilot movie, he makes his first appearance as Spider-Man without a webshooter, then later on builds a weshooter and starts using it, which I thought was kind of a nice realistic touch (gradual development as opposed to becoming Spider-Man all at once).

The effects are of course limited by the time. I think it's a lot easier to simulate the Hulk busting through a brick wall than it is to show a man swinging across a city, so that is probably part of the reason that the Hulk TV show was more successful.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
HIPComix Artist

And, yes, I intend Tales of the Crypticverse #2 to be posted before the month is out (it is almost finished). I won't usually be putting out updates that frequently, but since my earlier comics are moving to MC Comix, I wanted to make sure that HIP Comix members who follow my comix get their money's worth :) .

I'm generally figuring that I'll be updating once a month at each site once things settle down, but that's still to be determined.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Super Villain

Dear Mr. Cryptic

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Spiderman Show. You are right, of course: the limited TV budget doesn’t let show a man swinging across the city and then you need to get another type of story.

For example, Wonder Woman TV series. When I saw it as a child, I remembered the episodes as pure gold. Seeing them again, it’s like “Oh my, what a cheap production”. But that is with all the shows.

Strangely enough, the first season, in WWII, with a lot of camp, I think has aged better that the last two seasons, settled in “present day” (to the series, at least, the 70s). The camp humor works very well with a super hero show if it’s well written, and maybe the Secret of the Hulk show (as you pointed out) was not only the special effects, but the fact that they told the history from David Banners point of view: a man hunted and in the run.

And that worked! I mean, how many Hulk movies are there? Well two that sucked, but the point is that movies were made, while Wonder Woman doesn’t have even one…

Thanks for your opinion!

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:47 pm
HIPComix Artist

I agree that the great storytelling in the Hulk has the most to do with its success. The Spider-Man TV show definitely did not have the dramatic edge that the Hulk did.

I also agree that I like the first season of Wonder Woman best. I think it is probably less dated because it was made to be set in the past, while the later season were supposed to be modern and contemporary. The best way to make something that will seem dated twenty years from now is to make something that is very trendy and fashionable today.

Also, I feel that in the 2nd and 3rd seasons, Wonder Woman is too invincible, except when she's Diana Prince. She faces perils, but they are almost always when she is Diana Prince (and she's Diana Prince 90% of the time). She turns into Wonder Woman to deal with those perils, and usually has no trouble doing so once she is Wonder Woman. Personally, I'm a lot more interested in seeing Wonder Woman in peril than Diana Prince. I think the writers in those seasons stuck to a rule of thumb that "Diana Prince is vulnerable. Wonder Woman is not." In the first season, I think she usually got into peril as Wonder Woman and got out as Wonder Woman too.

A couple of those episodes are frustrating, because they involve villains with mind control capability, but either they don't try to use it on Wonder Woman, or she is just completely immune (Pied Piper, Flight to Oblivion, the Deadly Sting).

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Super Villain

Hi Mr. Cryptic!

My own theory about the second and third seasons about the “WW invencible, Diana vulnerable” thing is that… the writers were stuck in a hole they themselves dig. Is supposed that Diana has only human strength unless she has her magic girdle, but that (and so many others) characteristic of the comics were less and less mentioned. The whole point is that Diana could die because she couldn’t get into the WW uniform (and she had to spin to transform). Somehow, that notion never got into the comics.

So we have a superhero show that has less and less superheroic things and more and more spy drama (but you are not seeing the show for that). If you add that TV shows had limited budget and they cannot show any supervillain, this show degenerates into a common spy drama.

And about the chapters:

Pied Piper: It was not so bad, the pied piper decided to keep the wrong slave: have he liberated Diana’s boss daughter, he maybe could have gotten away with it. Also, he tried to control WW, but it was not his fault he is out of her league because she used the tiara - boomerang.

Flight to Oblivion and The Deadly Sting: There is no excuse for those. Of course it was difficult for them trying to control WW, but really, controlling a superhuman being compared to sabotage or winning some games? Please! As you say, wasted opportunity.

But not all was bad. The first two parter chapter was decent enough: Dr. Solano was a memorable villain with a decent world domination plan. “The man who could move the world” has the interesting issue of the Japanese confinement and a telekinetic samurai. The skrills were capable of deducing that Diana was WW. And in one chapter, another alien convinces WW to forget her identity to only become Diana Prince. Maybe the best villain was the guy who managed to chain wonder woman and deceive all his partners.

But my favorite WW chapter has to be “The fine art of crime”, where Diana is transformed by Roddy McDowell into a living statue. Man, that was my favorite chapter ever.

What were yours?

Hector

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:40 pm
HIPComix Artist

I enjoy all the seasons of Wonder Woman. I forgot that they actually had a number of interesting villains that qualified as supervillains, which the other live action hero shows didn't have.

Of course, by far my favorite episode is Fausta. When I first saw the chloroform scene as a kid I was like "Uh, what is happening to Wonder Woman?" There are so many things in that scene that make it sexy. I think that the henchmen holding her and talking to her about her intimate secrets like that is what makes it so hot. I think when someone very powerful is humbled and seduced by someone much less powerful, it's really exciting! For the same reasons, I also really like the scene in Superman (1978) when Superman has kryptonite chained around him and he has to beg Miss Tessmacher to help him.

The Fausta episode is also nice in that the relationship between Wonder Woman and Steve is very sweet. Also, Wonder Woman persuades Fausta to join the allies, which is very quintessentially Wonder Woman.

I like that episode so much that Ring of Domination, ny first fetish comic, was based on it. I tried in my story to make it a little more logical (e.g. the questions asked while being chloroformed) and explore some other ways for that scenario to develop.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:29 am
Profile WWW