Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

motion lines and motion blur 
HIPComix Artist

Post motion lines and motion blur
Hi all - Everything I know about making 3d comics is from reading and experimenting, so I'm anxious to get some feedback about my techniques and how well they work, or don’t work.

One thing I’m curious about is what people think of my use of motion lines (e.g., when American Goddess dashes away from Paul Barnes in issue #2 of Ring of Domination, there are lines trailing her to indicate her motion).

In traditional comics, you can indicate motion with motion lines, or sometimes by showing long hair, capes, trenchcoats, etc. blowing back as the character moves forward. In 3d comics, you can use motion blur. However, I haven’t had much success getting motion blur to look right, at least to me. I do use for spinning helicopter blades, and I used it for American Goddess leaping from her gunship to a helicopter, but in general I just use motion lines, or flowing hair, coats, etc.

I don’t have any plans right now to stop using motion lines for regular movement (to indicate very rapid movement, like spinning copter blades, I use motion blur). What do you think about this? Should I work harder on getting motion blur to work for me?

One other reason I like motion lines is that usually the object moving fast is a superheroine. Since a big part of my comics is hot looking heroines, I’d prefer for them to be clearly visible  .

One other thing, my postwork software is currently very limited. I don’t own Photoshop and I make word balloons and such using the Paint program that came with my computer. I’m figuring I’ll need to get Photoshop someday, but I haven’t yet. Maybe blur effects look better using Photoshop.

Anyway, all feedback is welcome.

Thanks all.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Super Villain

Post Re: motion lines and motion blur
I don't have any technical expertise to share, so all I can say is that I don't care for the motion lines. Perhaps one of the other artists has some advice on this. Hope so.

-Mick

p.s. When is the next chapter of Panthera coming out?

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:10 pm
HIPComix Artist

Fair enough. I will try to take some time studying how some of the other artists here portray motion, and see what I can learn.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Super Villain

Check out Finister's Pleasure Pets #124. There you see some motion effects with the car that look pretty good.

-Mick

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:26 pm
HIPComix Artist

I've got working on motion blur as part of my agenda for the next few weeks. I'm almost done with Ring of Domination, so once that's done I'll probably spend more time on this.

In the last few days, I haven't been able to log in to the member's section for some reason, so I haven't been able to research this as much as I'd like. Once I get that figured out I'll study more comics regarding this issue.

Before I got locked out, I did look at the page mick mentioned. It looks like a combination of motion blur, and "double exposure." That is, I think the speeding car is shown twice, with the trailing car a transparent after image.

I also looked at some of Uroboros' comics, who I think is my favorite here, no offense to any others. He does use motion blur, but pretty sparingly (only for things moving really fast). Maybe I'm just overusing the motion lines. At any rate, I'll work on this.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
HIPComix Artist

Very cool comix, Mr. Cryptic!

You're doing fantastic with the effects for just using the factory paint program! Nothing wrong with using the motion lines. They work great too.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:52 pm
HIPComix Artist

Thanks Finister! Hearing that from you is a great compliment!

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
HIPComix Artist

Since you were checking out the forum, Finister, I should have asked you about the blur effect on Pleasure Pets #124. Did you do that using Photoshop (or some other postwork program), or was that done within Poser?

I'm guessing you did it using Photoshop or some other postwork program, since I haven't been able to get that kind of streaking effect using motion blur in Poser. No matter how long I make the shutter open and close time, I don't get a long "trail" of blur. It always looks like it does in Ring of Domination 5004. There's blur but not much obvious motion. I haven't used motion blur in a while now so maybe if I approach it fresh I'll have more luck with it.

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile WWW