Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:35 pm

Technical Question regarding Comic Life for Windows 
Site Administrator

Post Technical Question regarding Comic Life for Windows
I use Comic Life Deluxe for OS X (the current build before they switched to full development of Comic Life Magiq, which I hate with a vengeance!)

I find that, after I apply the dialog balloons, lettering and other FX, then save and export to TIFF (or any supported graphic file format), I then open the files to find that the color has been so affected as to require as much time in Photoshop to recover the original colors.

Have you found Comic Life for Windows to change the depth and quality of your colors?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 am
HIPComix Artist

Colors aren't affected in Comic Life for Windows v1.35. At least not in my experience.
I export to BMP at 75 dpi and a resolution of 1500x1000.

Where Comic Life does fail is in the clarity of some of the images placed in the panels. Some images are crystal sharp as they were when they came out of Firefly. Others look somewhat blurry, like they were saved in JPEG at a lower compression.

I raised this issue with Plasq, showed them my evidence and they were able to reproduce the error and said they'd fix it. That was over 12 months ago and no change.

Quite frankly, Comic Life is a piece of crap. Unfortunately, it's the best piece of crap out there on the market that i know of. The fact that the end product is so altered from its original state is unacceptable. It would almost be better to take a screen shot of the page as it appears in the application.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:44 am
HIPComix Artist

Post Comic Life
Sorry, I don't know anything about comic life. I do know about resolution though and some programs save at a lower and lower resolution, each time you save your work. Each 'save' gets more and more pixelated. Paint shop Pro 7 used to do that. To overcome this, it is best to render the original pics as large as possible in Poser, something like 1200 for big screen height and 300 psi. Then, if you need to enlarge it you won't loose too much. ( Or try Photoshop blow-up plug-in for enlarging jpegs)
Best to save your firefly render in PNG format as it retains transparency and file size is not ridiculously large. Then put it altogether in photoshop. Every professional artist uses photoshop because it's the best. It then can be saved again and again as a jpeg at 70% high quality at 1200 full screen height. Everyone is buying huge flat panels, so art needs to be 1200 pixels high and high quality.
Cheers

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:37 am