Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:44 pm

dynamics 
HIPComix Artist

Post dynamics
Morpheus
It's a great effect you have, with the hand sweeping and leaving a trail. Also the splashes of blood everywhere. Do you use the standard psd brushes for that, maybe the wet media brushes ?

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:13 am
HIPComix Artist

Post Dynamics
Sorry for the delay in replying, dude - I missed this one somehow. The blood spatters started off as a special brush but I couldn't find one that was exactly the way I wanted it so I added in the extra spatters with the good old pen tool until I got it the way I wanted. I always liked the way Barry Windsor Smith and Colin McNeil paint blood spattering so I tried to produce a similar effect with the tablet. The hand and blade movement effects were just hand-painted on a new layer in white and then sharpened up with a very small rubber to give the jagged edges, then I used the sphereising filter to curve it and ghosted out to 50% tranparency. As we discussed earlier it's all part of my continuing efforts to merge the CGI and hand-drawn elements of the strip to make it appear as an organic whole.
Cheers!

Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:19 am
HIPComix Artist

Post Blood splattering
Yes, wiping back with a really strange shaped rubber is a great effect. I've just been playing around with that now. Sphering ? I haven't come across it, where is that one ?
If someone was drinking milk ??? and it was splattering all over her face I thought about using the psd emboss effect which would draw it up like a 3D effect usually used for 3D text. :lol:

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:53 pm
HIPComix Artist

Post Sphering
Oops - it's actually "Spherize" and under the "distort" heading on CS3.
Embossing is a good idea - never thought about that one - I'll give it a go although I'm a picky sod and so I tend to end up just hand-drawing the finished thing on a seperate layer - may take a wee bit longer but at least you know what you're getting.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:27 am
HIPComix Artist

Post Spherize
It's like an extreme wide angle, I found it under distortion.
Embossing does seem to work OK like a 3D effect. I think that's what the other dudes are using around the place, it's pretty effective. It's good photoshop doesn't change much, they keep everything in the same place so you don't have to relearn everything. The greatest tool when CS2 came out was the warp tool which I use heaps. Smudge is my all time favorite. It was called the push tool in PSP when I first started using it for post work. I was reluctant to change to photoshop because it didn't have the push tool. Turns out that it was the same tool with a different name.
I wonder if it's OK to have all that blood in a PG comic ? (I've used a lot of blood in my pirate comic over at hipcomics)
Marvel use brown colored blood so it doesn't look so gory. :lol:

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:51 pm