Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:31 pm

Ancient Romans and Spartans the original superheroes ? 
HIPComix Artist

Post Ancient Romans and Spartans the original superheroes ?
I want to tell you about my new Circus Maximus comic. I've posted issue2 today and I am really enjoying it and I hope you will too. Along with the Spartans and Greeks before them, I believe the gladiatorial era in Rome created the seed for the modern superhero.
What I like about the era is that it really happened and it was probably more daring, brutal and absurd than in the history books ! Ridley Scott, the director of Gladiator movie said that the times were worse than had shown in the movie. Nobody knows the exact history but it was like anything goes with a ruler with absolute power. We know that women gladiators would certainly existed. We are still a little unsure about Christians being thrown to the lions. They used to throw religious extremists to the lions however. Perhaps it was the same thing !

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:10 am
Super Villain

You have the Princess, scandalously, visiting the slave quarters under the colloseum. I have no object to that; actually, I like it.

BUT,... having Caesar's sister in the Senate :!: :!: Unthinkable. Women were never allowed there.

-Mike

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:31 am
HIPComix Artist

Post Sister in the senate
You're right, in fact it's still a bit like that today in Italy. Except for a really sexy Italian actress that went into politics a while back. She got quite a few votes and was really something to look at!
Carigula had an incestuous relationship with his sister. In the Gladiator film there was a similar thing happening there too. Caesars name in the movie was commadus. His sister actually rescued him out of the caucus. I want to get him much more brutal than he is at the moment. He used to execute people on a whim. Even loyal subjects, just for the fact that they were loyal. He was quoted on saying he wished the whole of Rome could have one neck ! He is however really a sideline to give the story substance. The main thing I am concerned with is creating hot scenes with the princess.
Caesar is jealous of his wife's popularity and I think she may get thrown to the lions or fight in the arena. It's going to get hot with her in the slave quarters. I'm enjoying this theme especially because it is loosely based on history and it could have really happened.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:11 am