Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

1700's Superheroine Request 
Bully

Post 1700's Superheroine Request
I'm working on a story and I have this idea. Please bear with me as I elaborate, briefly.

Essentially, I have this idea for a patriotic superheroine. Original, right? /sarcasm. But I'd like to expand on the concept. You see, I have my heroine "Liberty". She is 20 and dawns her powers right before the American revolution's outbreak. I imagine writing stories for her that relate through the long and storied history of the United States. The concept jumps out to me as one that has durability. It has originality in that the possibilities for concepts is nearly endless while maintaining enough familiarity that the reader isn't lost.

So, I'm pretty excited about this. But when imagining what she looked like...I hit a roadblock. I couldn't imagine what a "costumed" superheroine in the late 1700's would look like (let along any other time period but we'll stick to the origin story for now). A stress the word costume because I don't want a heroine battling in "all traditional" garb like some non-superheroines do (pirates, space travelers, etc). Instead, I'm thinking about clothing that is accurate with the time period but has enough red, white and blue to stick out as...well...a costume.

I think I'm asking for a challenging work. And if I had the ability to compensate you in anyway monetarily, I would. But, as I'm sure you're all aware, the economy has not been kind. If there is anything we can work out I'm certainly open to suggestions!

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:58 pm
HIPComix Artist

Post Re: 1700's Superheroine Request
That is a difficult concept.

A few ideas and suggestions I have include:

1) A traditional, yet modified, 1700's style ballroom gown with a mask Image

2) A streamlined, Romanesque outfit similar to this: Image

3) A more traditional, old-school, timeless look like the original, golden age Wonder Woman. Image

Just something to think over.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:38 am
Profile YIM
Bully

Thanks bunches! I do realize it's a difficult costume choice. Hence why I had such a hard to imagining a costume in the first place!

1.) A little bit too "Victorian" for my liking. My plan for this heroine is to have her be more of an "everyday" type of gal. This makes it much easier for the audience to get behind her and a costume like that is probably a bit high end.

2.) I like this a bunch. I'd probably change the top to have the original 13 star design. Also, I'd change the boots to non-heeled and white while eliminating the helmet and sword. I really like that for a costume, though and, given enough time, I could totally totally give a full description of what I was looking for.

3.) I suppose I could, but in all honestly, do we need to see ANOTHER WW look-a-like? I love me some WW too but sometimes I wonder if people are just getting lazy with their WW and SG remodels. :/

Thank you so much for helping me out with this! I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
RL

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm
Faithful Assistant

They actually did a wonder woman from the 19th Century...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman:_Amazonia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... azonia.jpg

I liked the look of the costume, not quite 1700's but it's closer to the fasions of the times and maybe gives you an idea or two?

http://angelic-kitten-art.deviantart.com/
http://guests.hipcomix.com/gallery2/mai ... emId=11292

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:29 pm