Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

Wonder Woman Movie 
Henchman

Post Wonder Woman Movie
Call me a pessimist but I think the Wonder Woman movie is going to suck whoever they cast. Then again I was never a fan of Wonder Woman in the first place. So I dont really understand what so many people saw in Lynda Carter either. I know she is mentioned all over the web and considered "Perfect" for the role she did. I downloaded an episode of the 70s Wonder Woman show the other day and could not stand it! Cheesy annoying theme tune and even worse acting.

I thought Lynda Carter was ok(ish) in terms of looks but definatly nothing special. Could think of thousands of better looking women than her.

Its not that I hate the characters in hero/heroine films but I know that so many of them are based on actual comic book characters.....and it seems that they work better overall in comic book form. The "Supergirl" movie with Helen Slater was another example of a character that should have stayed in comic book form as the film was just so unbelievibly terrible.

Anyone ever seen a film called "Nick Fury" starring David Hassleholf? This movie was based on a comic book character and it probally has to be the very worst film I have ever seen in my entire life!

The recent "Catwoman" and "Electra" films were not anything to be excited about either I honestly thought.

What I am basically saying is that there always seems to be a problem when comic characters convert to the big screen (especially the female ones) and they always get slammed by critics and end up being complete flops at the cinema.

I honestly cant see this new Wonder Woman movie being anything close to a success.....especially with Joss Whendon at the helm. Thats my own personal view anyway.....I could be wrong though.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:09 pm
Super Villain

Post Re: Wonder Woman Movie
DMaxwell wrote:
Anyone ever seen a film called "Nick Fury" starring David Hassleholf? This movie was based on a comic book character and it probally has to be the very worst film I have ever seen in my entire life!

Yeah, I saw [part] of it, and it did, indeed, suck. As for the categorization as Worst Film, there are a lot of contenders for that title.

Too bad, the comic book was great. I recall it once had a 4-page splash of a space battle. You had to buy 2 copies of that issue and put them together to see the whole picture. [How's that for marketing :?: ]

Ah, that brings back memories...

-mike

p.s. I, too, am pessmistic about the WW movie. I expect they will start fillming as soon as they wrap up the Vampirella movie. :wink:

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:06 pm
Site Administrator

Given the various movie studios and the commitment they feign over their big budget projects (like the awful Fantastic 4 movie), they will produce utter garbage and then move on, like a car crash on a freeway. You know another one is bound to happen.

Most people I speak with in the S/F movie community have no hope for any project this side of Spiderman 3. X3 is already being panned based on the trailer for it.

I wish things were different, but I have little hope for what Josh Whedon had in mind for his WW project. God knows he'll try, but he has his own way of looking at things. It worked for his Buffy TV show but failed with Firefly. Serenity was interesting, but lacked any real broad appeal outside of the Josh fan base.

All I can say is that I hope he gets things right with WW this time.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:35 pm
Site Administrator

OK, here's the latest news from the WW movie circut.

It seems that Lindsay Lohan has stated that "playing Diana Prince would be too cool." Somehow I cannot picture her filling the role.

Thankfully, this story seems more like a plea from Lindsay to Josh for a crack at the role.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/fs/2006 ... 54600.html

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:25 am
HIPComix Artist

Well, if the studio/producer/director took a fresh look at the material and followed the example of "Batman Begins" WW could be a great movie.

There's a lot of potential in the visuals alone - Thyrmiscara (spelling), Hades, Olympus - large scale epic Amazon battles (think Return of the King) - Great Heroine moments (think First Superman Film when Supes first appears - rescuing plane - saving lois - and so on)
There's so much mythology alone to play with - then you get into the WW comics and there's still more to choose from.

Not to mention the S&M connatations of the Lasso, and dominate female character.

I'd go for a combination of the Perez/Byrne/Waid (Kingdom Come) character versions - WW seems sweet, young, naive, but will cut to shreds in battle if given the chance. She's a warrior - and a loss is never an option.

Now - getting a movie studio to go along with something like that - well, they did it for Batman - maybe they'll start learning? Probably not - but as long as Marvel keeps showing them what "not to do" we might just benefit.

Doug

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Super Villain

If it came down to the last two rumored people to cast for the role of Wonder Woman, who would you favor, Sophia Bush or Katherine McPhee(American Idol runner-up)?

I wish I could make a poll, but it is a curious question to ask.

Also, a year late response to DMaxwell about Lynda Carter and the late 70's Wonder Woman TV show:

It was the 70's, it was never done like that before and to any adolescent boy at the time, she was the hottest thing since melted butter. What you're doing is comparing old school to new school and that never works. My 2 cents on it anyway. :)

By the way, the choice is too hard for me to make, Katherines got the look, but Sophia could fit the part.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Henchman

If it came down to the last two rumored people to cast for the role of Wonder Woman, who would you favor, Sophia Bush or Katherine McPhee(American Idol runner-up)?

I wish I could make a poll, but it is a curious question to ask.

Also, a year late response to DMaxwell about Lynda Carter and the late 70's Wonder Woman TV show:

It was the 70's, it was never done like that before and to any adolescent boy at the time, she was the hottest thing since melted butter. What you're doing is comparing old school to new school and that never works. My 2 cents on it anyway. :)

By the way, the choice is too hard for me to make, Katherines got the look, but Sophia could fit the part.

Oh No!!!!! Please tell me that they are not seriously considering casting someone who is associated with a reality TV show made by Simon Cowell and Simon Fuller. The faces of trash television who know absolutely nothing about quality music and are only professionals in rinsing money from the public as part of a novelty for their own gain.

They will probally reform the Spice Girls to do the movie soundtrack aswell :x

This sounds like what went badly wrong with the Halloween movies when they thought it was a good idea to make the latest film all hip hop themed and have Buster Rhymes shouting out all those stereotypical ghetto phrases. A very far cry from the brilliant first Halloween movie.

Cant believe that they have sold out like this :x
Surely DC Comics would not allow this to happen, but then again Capcom allowed a terrible movie version of their popular Streetfighter videogame to be made some years ago.

I see your point about Lynda Carter, I was not even alive in the 70s and my adolescent pin-up was when Pamela Anderson was in her prime on Baywatch!

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:09 pm
Site Administrator

Sorry to have to post this, but I just ran across this posted by a friend of mine elsewhere...

From the BBC...

Quote:
Wonder Woman film director quits
Joss Whedon will focus on writing and directing thriller Goners

Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon has pulled out of directing a feature film about Wonder Woman.

"I had a take on the film that nobody liked," he told a fan website, saying he and the film's producer Joel Silver "just saw different movies".

"At the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work," the writer and director added.

Wonder Woman was created by DC Comics and adapted for a hit US TV show starring Lynda Carter in the 1970s.

Though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk

Whedon, who also created the Buffy spin-off Angel and sci-fi TV series Firefly, had been linked to the project since March 2005.

"Everyone knows how long I was taking and what a struggle the script was," he said in a post on the Whedonesque website.

"Though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk."

Whedon denied he ever had a specific actress in mind to play the film role.
"I never had an actress picked out, or even a consistent front-runner," he said.

When his involvement in the film was first announced, the 42-year-old described Wonder Woman as "the most iconic female heroine of our time".

Whedon said he would now focus on Goners, a thriller he is writing and directing for Universal Pictures.

Who know what will happen now? Will they find another director/writer? Or will the studio let the project die? Only time will tell.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:46 pm
HIPComix Artist

Maybe Joss just didn't have enough bondage for DC Comic's liking :P

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:07 pm
Forum Moderator

Maybe Joss just didn't have enough bondage for DC Comic's liking :P

From what I have read one of the big disagreements between Whedon and the studio was the target audience of this movie. Is it aimed at comic book fans? Teenagers? Women? Once that is decided, then they'll be able to nail down a storyline. I think the worst thing they can do is try to appeal to everyone, because more often than not you end up appealing to no one.

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Megalomaniac

Post Wonder Woman movie
While other heroine movies such as Catwoman and Elektra have failed to impress, I hope that Wonder Woman will be different.

I think Megan Fox is the best choice for Wonder Woman. Hope they keep the original costume as in the TV series. Maybe Megan could even get chloroformed similar to how Lynda Carter got her lights put out in Fausta The Nazi Wonder Woman episode.

The World War II part of the TV series was the best. Hope they won't pull any punches and not have the villains go easy on Wonder Woman. Maybe a love interest too

Sun May 31, 2009 8:32 pm
Faithful Assistant

Unfortunately Megan Fox isn't interested in doing Wonder Woman. In an interview she called her 'a lame superhero' and explicitly stated that 'I don't get it'.

Here's a link to the article.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/quickies-hudson-diaz-called-clingy-twilight-breakup-talk-1515635.story/?gt1=28135#wallState=0__/movies/quickies-megan-fox-disses-wonder-woman-and-more--1515453.story

Sun May 31, 2009 11:35 pm
Profile YIM
Super Villain

I never thought she'd be a good one for the part. She does look mature enough to play it. She's be great for Wonder Girl.

I do have to agree with her assessment of herself, though. Acting is not her forte, but I do like looking at her. :twisted:

Metrobay Encyclopedia entry: http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/Ameri ... zon?t=anon

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Super Villain

I never thought she'd be a good one for the part. She doesn't look mature enough to play it. She's be great for Wonder Girl.

I do have to agree with her assessment of herself, though. Acting is not her forte, but I do like looking at her. :twisted:

edited

Metrobay Encyclopedia entry: http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/Ameri ... zon?t=anon

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:21 am
Profile WWW