Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

How much postwork do the artists do for a finished render? 
Bully

Post How much postwork do the artists do for a finished render?
I am curious how much postwork the artists here do, beyond adding word balloons and effects such as motion blur?

Do you render in one pass, or do you do multiple renders of a scene fiding different elements in each scene until the entire scene is rendered out?

Do you look to correct any lighting issues or add any new lighting in post?

Thank you in advance,

rDogg

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:15 am
HIPComix Artist

I'm an eternal newbie when it comes to postwork stuff, but if you can get acquainted with even just the basic postwork tools you can save yourself a lot of time from having to make a perfect raw render.

Like when I first started I'd spend all day trying to keep from having skin breaking through clothes and making body bends look natural. But with postwork, you can easily fix that stuff in minutes where in Poser it may take hours to morph and pose stuff just right.

If I have a highly populated scene I render it in layers mainly because it's faster to render in small segments than the whole scene in one pass. Poser can save in photoshop and TIFF format so you can render over an empty background then in photoshop (or paintshop) extract the rendered person by selecting the alpha channel.

Some artists here are really masters with postwork - I just wing it.

I probably spend the most time on getting the right lighting and fine tuning all the posing.

How do you do it?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:36 pm
HIPComix Artist

Sturk has a little screenshot of how he worked on a scene here:

http://free.hipcomix.com/gallery/album91

Please feel free to post any other such tips/tuts here as well.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:34 am
HIPComix Artist

I try to do as much as I can inside of Poser; I do very little post work corrections if I can help it as I'm not very good with Photoshop (truth to be told, I really hate the interface - it was designed for a Mac and it shows).

Often times if it's a new scene, I may end up doing several renders until I get the lighting right, but for the most part I don't do much postwork if I can help it. I use Photoshop for the lettering and speech balloons, and Corel Photopaint for most special effects that I can't do in Poser.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:56 am
Bully

Thank you so far for the comments on your workflows. I am still trying to determine mine. For the most part I try to get everything set up in Poser first and then render out. If it is a memory intensive scene I will render in multiple passes and composit in photoshop and then overlay text as necessary. This is primarily because I am not that good with photoshop, yet.

The big thing that kills me though is the time it may take to create one scene and therefore one render from start to finish.

Thank you again for comments.

rDogg

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:03 am
HIPComix Artist

So do the money shots.
The most daunting task is rigging a scene...especially when it wont render in one pass due to posers memory limitations.
One option is carrara 6.0 pro.
It can handle more geometry at once, and render some nice reflections and flares/lighting.
The new V4 figures shaders sometimes have some major problems with carrara but you can always use poser/photoshop with carrara's composites in a pinch.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:41 pm
Henchman

I try to do everything in Poser. I just can't draw blood/shadows in properly in photoshop. I've rarely gotten into trouble with 'tears' (I try to use right figure with right clothing) but then what fails to look right, I just repose or move the camera so that it doesn't show.

The main postwork I do is tagging logos/speech/sig. Besides that I only use a 'clothing tear' trick which works as follows:

Render naked version of victim
Render costumed version of victim
Load Naked version in Photoshop
Paste costumed version on top
use eraser tool to 'erase'/tear into the naked layer under

Flatten/save :)

I recently tried motion blur, long way off. Also blood edits work best in photoshop, more control and more 'random'. I find it hard to blend manual postwork with rendering due to shadows in general, even with a 'smudge'.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:54 pm