Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

How do you access the Internet? 

What form of Internet connection do you use?
Dial Up 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
DSL 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Cable 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
cell phone 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wi-Fi 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

How do you access the Internet? 
Site Administrator

Post How do you access the Internet?
I was wondering.

Of all the ways we access the web, what is the primary means of accessing the web the average member here use to get online?

Are you still using AOL/dial up, cable or phone DSL, one of those trendy new 802.11 wi-fi devices, cell based Blackberry/PDA or something else?

I'm split between DSL at home and wi-fi in the field.

How about you?

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:02 pm
Henchman

DSL for me. Cant get cable in my area. To be honest I aint even sure what cable actually is......think its something like sky television or something aint it?

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:27 pm
Site Administrator

DSL for me. Cant get cable in my area. To be honest I aint even sure what cable actually is......think its something like sky television or something aint it?

In the US, there are two forms of hard wired communications. The primary remains the telephone systems. They now have entered into delivery of high speed internet and motion pictures over twisted wire telephone lines.

Cable television is a 40 year old technology that has ballooned in areas where large numbers of homes are built but have no direct line of sight to a television broadcast transmitter. About 12 years ago, they petitioned the government for the right to enter the internet delivery market with the cable service they already used to provide television and premium content.

We also have satellite services for premium TV content as well as limited forms of broadband internet where neither of the above have infrastructure. This would be like Murdock's SkyTV.

In the larger communities in most areas of the US, various groups and companies are using wi-fi hardware to create internet access for the people who live in such towns. There are both public and business solution to this movement, the process is still ongoing...

And cell phone providers are creating broadband level wireless service allowing phones to become internet devices and media players.

It's a very confusing time for the average consumer.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:18 pm
Super Villain

Not all cable is 'twisted wires'; in my neighborhood we have fiber optics delivery of phone, TV and internet. For a reasonable price I get 10Mbs internet connection!

Not really; the speed seems to be limited by what the web site can deliver. On some sites I get 1.1Mbs transfer speed; on others I am lucky to get 60Kbs. Pictures from HIPcomix.com seem to load in about the same time as from my harddrive!

Needless to say, I recommend the fiber optics connection -- if you can get it.

-Mike

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:43 pm