Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Wrestlers and other mainstream characters? 
Bully

Post Wrestlers and other mainstream characters?
Hi,
I am new here, and after chatting with Dr Robo I've been considering writing some HIP type fiction. I usually write in the MC/NC/BD type themes which seems to fit in here pretty well.
I have noticed people talking about topics other than super heroes, such as WWE Divas, Lara Croft etc. I was wondering what is accepted as "on topic" here. For example would a Pricesss Leia Star Wars story or a Counsellor Troi Star Trek story be acceptable, or would they need to be mind controlled and using alien tech to deeply probe this strange new being called Wonder Woman that they have captured :twisted:

Victor Ramierez

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:59 am
HIPComix Artist

HIP stand for Heroines In Peril. There's no S for Superheroine there, although that is certainly the most common and popular sub-genre. My comic deals with swashbuckling heroics without a single mutant, meta-human or alien visitor in sight.

So I would say your story ideas are very welcome. The themes you mention sound like they would be enjoyed by our readers. (Just don't try to claim Leia, Troi, etc as your own creations :wink: ).

Dose.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Bully

Ok, I guess I was a little sidetracked by all the super heroine talk. Thanks for pointing that out.

I wish I could claim those characters, especially Leia, I could really use the truckloads of cash :lol:

Thanks
Vic

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:22 am
Forum Moderator

Post new characters
Dose makes an excellent point. Women of all 'careers' (for lack of a better term) are welcome here. In addition to the typical costumed superheroine we've had amazon warriors, sorceresses, policewomen, secret agents/spies, scientists, housekeepers, fair maidens (or wenches, depending on how you look at it)... the list goes on. They don't have to all be Wonder Woman clones, that is just the most popular type.

Dose is also correct in saying that whatever character you decide to use, she should be your own creation. Of couse we all draw inspiration from other sources, but because of copyright issues we would like for each HIPComix character to be the unique creation of the artist.

By the way, welcome to the forums. Glad you could make it! If you have any other questions, I'm sure one or more of us will be happy to help out.

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Bully

Thanks for the welcome. :D

I had already been considering what had been suggested and have come up with a few new characters that I'm writing backstories for at the moment before I go ahead to write stories about them.

I take your point about the copyright issues, I was wondering about that myself. I notice that despite what you've said, that there are a lot of Wonder Woman etc type stories here. Has there been any repercussions from that with lawyers or anything?

Victor

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:40 am
Site Administrator

To answer a couple of questions about stories involving popular copyright characters, no one has made a legal challenge so far.

To be safe, be sure to place real disclaimers in the opening of any fan ficiton that makes use of a character that belongs to someone else. A simple statement of who owns/created the character and that you are not challenging their copyright is a good place to start.

Note that you are not writing said story for profit or for use in the pay area of a website or other publication. It would not hurt to state in said story that it is an adult tale and not ment for children. This covers most legal issues as far as it can.

And as the other members of HIP have already stated, we're always looking for a good story, no matter who is the star in it. I hope to see your contributions added to the Stories section of this forum shortly.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:20 am
Bully

Thanks for your suggestions. I already had some kind of disclaimer in mind if I was going to use some characters other than my own, and I already use an adult themes type one on my previous tales. I am a bit torn between having some really cool ideas (well I think so) for some copyright characters, while at the same time having some equally cool ideas (in my humble opinion) for some new stuff and I really want to write both.

Now I'll just have to decide which ones I want to write first and get my act together and get writing. :?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Victor

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:43 am
Forum Moderator

I guess it boils down to how much you like to share. If you use a copyrighted character, you will always have to share credit for that story. You'll never get full credit for yourself because you didn't come up with everything. If you don't want to share, then create your own characters. Sometimes that's the most fun part of the writing process anyway...

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW