Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:43 am

Script Contest Announced. 
Site Administrator

Post Script Contest Announced.
Hi there, Jpeger here.

So I'm sitting in front of the computer, and It's time for me to start a new type of series. Only I'm having writers block.

I think about Doc and Max, and I know they are far too busy right now.... so I think... "hrmph... what to do?!? If only I had a way to lure in some new writers!"

"A Contest! That's it!", I say to myself as I break my arm patting myself on the back. Then I wondered if that might offend our current staff writers. So I asked Doc what he thought.

Much to my surprise, he offered to judge!

"Wicked!" I thought to myself, realizing I wouldn't offend the staff writers by trying to solicit free scripts. "My plan to rule the world is almost... " Oh wait, that's another plan.

So, here we go. I'm going to have a writers contest. All you need to do is send us story, screenplay, or outline format of a story, and the top 10 will be selected by me. The top 10 will then be judged by us at HIPcomix.com and the top 5 will be awarded a prize.

Before we go further... here is the breakdown of the prizes.

1st place - Your Story made in to a comic here at HIP, a free 1 year membership, and bragging rights that you won the contest.

2nd place - Your Story made into a comic here at HIP, a free 6 month membership, and and bragging rights that you came in second.

3rd place - Your Story made into a comic here at HIP, a free three month membership here at HIPcomix.

4th place - A three month membership to HIP

5th place - A one month membership to HIP

Entries MUST be received before August 31, 2006 and the winner will be announced Sept 22 2006. Just email them to admin@hipcomix.com

Entries must be free of copyright infringement issues, and MUST be original! No regurgitated stories!

Good luck!

Jpeger!

All submissions become property of HIPcomix.com. Decisions of the Judges are final. Technical problems void entry.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:40 am
Forum Rookie

Does the entry have to be a new story, or can it be an addition to an existing comic?

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:12 pm
Forum Moderator

Does the entry have to be a new story, or can it be an addition to an existing comic?

It depends on what the comic is and who owns the rights to it. Obviously non-HIPComix entities are off-limits, 'mainstream' or otherwise, due to copyright issues. As far as HIPComix comics are concerned, I suppose it would be up to the owner of the comic to give his or her approval. That said, original characters and settings are wholeheartedly encouraged.

How's that for a rambling non-answer? :roll: I certainly could be wrong. Jpeger, can you give a ruling here and clean up my mess?

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Last edited by Doctor Robo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Administrator

Obviously, when I make the image I can't use the trademark. Symbols like Superman's "S" and the name "Superman" can't be used, however...changes can fall under parody protection as long as the actual symbol or name is not used directly.

So.... Just Change "Batgirl" to "Rodent Woman", and send in the script.

Jp.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:16 am
Forum Moderator

Post deadline
Today's the deadline! We're getting down to the nitty gritty. Got something written down? Send it on in! You never know unless you give it a shot...

- Juvenal, Satire VI

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Administrator

August 31st has come and gone, and we have now received all the entries.

Doc and I will be announcing the winner in this thread on Friday September 8th 2006.

There were close to 30 entries, and I narrowed those down to around 10 or 11 to send to Doc Robo to really rip apart. In the initial elimination, I was looking for scripts that matched the spirit of our site. Heroines in Peril, and whether or not they can be made into comics without hiring the people at the Skywalker Ranch.

In the next round, Doc and I will discuss script originality and whether or not its possible to even make it into a comic. Remember, poser and other 3D tools create spectacular art, but they also are limited to what can be created.

Some of the scripts were very simple, and others were very complex. All were excellent. I want to thank everyone for their time involved. I see everyone put in a lot of work into their scripts. I was very surprised at the time everyone seemed to put into it. It was very hard for me not to just call everyone a winner, and spend the rest of my waking moments creating comics out of the scripts.

Alas! We cannot. It's been decided long before today that only the top 5 will make it.

So please do not be offended if you did not make the cut. There were a couple of really excellent stories (that need to be made into feature films) that I had to cut because they were beyond my capability to turn into a 100 page comic. So yes, there were scripts that were just plain "too damn good".

So be sure to check back here on September 8th to see the top 5 scripts!

Thanks for reading,
Jpeger!

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:42 pm
Site Administrator

To Join the HIPcomix Mailing list, send a blank email to

HIPcomix-join@hipcomix.com

Good news! After a week of thorough reading, chatting, arguing, researching, drinking, and more arguing we are happy to announce the winners of the first (annual?) HIPComix writing contest! A reminder that the top five finalists will receive free memberships (of varying lengths) to HIPComix.com, and the top three will get to see their story turned into an official HIPComix comic.

Before I announce the results, I want to reiterate what Jpeger mentioned last week. We received around three dozen entries and each one of them was a great read. It is a shame that we can't use them all. Unfortunately, we had to whittle down to just five finalists, and there could be only one winner. So, without further delay...

Honorable Mention:

"Bluebird and Sparrow" by BigBruce
"Valley Court" by Bwesson
"Raven Fastlane" by Cliffhanger
"The Photo Shoot" by Dragon Rider

(Forgive me if I have any of the authors' names wrong. Feel free to email me and I'll make the proper corrections)

Fifth Place:

"Origins of Elsa" by Lecoose

The villain named Mesmer looks to add to his harem of slaves. First up on his list? The heroines Electron and Wind Princess!

Fourth Place:

"Kate Starbuck: Helpless" by Imaginasan

A villain (aptly named "Bad Guy") goes into business for himself. Sounds pretty mundane, right? What if I told you that his business involves selling perilous ideas to other villians? What if he needed to test these ideas out on helpless heroines first, in order to make sure they work?

Third Place:

"The Watchmaker" by Cityslicker

A villain with the power to freeze time mixes technology and good old fashioned hypnosis to capture and enslave a heroine.

Second Place:

"Minx (Cover Girl)" by Uberthumb

Probably the most original idea of all the entries. Minx discovers that she is in fact a comic book heroine, living her life among the pages and covers of HIPComix. See what happens when the artists and authors of HIPComix get their 'hands' on her and put her in all sorts of perilous situations!

First Annual HIPComix writing contest champion and literary ruler of the world:

"Space Vixxens" by Knyght

A space opera right out of an old pulp comic book. Two sworn enemies are for--d to work together to save themselves and the rest of galaxy from an evil emperor.

Again, a big thank you to all who entered, and congratulations to the winners. Jpeger will be in touch regarding your memberships and comics (if applicable). Hopefully we can do it again next year!

- Doc
HIPComix forum moderator

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:48 pm