Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am

Grime City Stories: Hot Summers' Night 
Forum Moderator

I enjoyed the new ministory about the robounits. The composition, artwork, and text were all done well as usual. I must admit however, that I was a somewhat disappointed with the content.

I was really expecting many more images dealing with the conversion of the two women and their subsequent functions as robounits. The dialog by the guy watching didn't thrill me either. I would have prefered to hear what was going on in the women's heads. Sure we hear what they are saying out loud, but is that truly what is going on in their minds before or during conversion? I'd like to know. I also think the gay sex scene was gratuitous and just didn't fit the plot, so I would have left it out.

I'm a fan of the series, but here is what I would have liked to have seen.

A) The bossoms of the women shrunk down to typical sizes and their figures more varied (but still attractive) to make the images more realistic, and ergo the story content more scary (as some of it was surely meant to be).

B) More images of robounit conversions.

C) More images of large groups of robounits performing various tasks and/or placed in storage for future use and/or assembled into some kind of army (as hinted at in the main story).

Hey Zeke, welcome to the forums! Thank you for your honest opinions about our comics. I appreciate the feedback, even if I may disagree with some of your assessments. I am happy that you have taken the time to write, and I hope you continue to do so in the future!

- Doc

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arch-Criminal

I was really expecting many more images dealing with the conversion of the two women and their subsequent functions as robounits. The dialog by the guy watching didn't thrill me either. I would have prefered to hear what was going on in the women's heads. Sure we hear what they are saying out loud, but is that truly what is going on in their minds before or during conversion? I'd like to know. I also think the gay sex scene was gratuitous and just didn't fit the plot, so I would have left it out.

I'm a fan of the series, but here is what I would have liked to have seen.

A) The bossoms of the women shrunk down to typical sizes and their figures more varied (but still attractive) to make the images more realistic, and ergo the story content more scary (as some of it was surely meant to be).

B) More images of robounit conversions.

C) More images of large groups of robounits performing various tasks and/or placed in storage for future use and/or assembled into some kind of army (as hinted at in the main story).

Valid complaints, but I'm gonna politely disagree with you about several things.

1. Yeah, it would have been nice to see more H.E.R. Robounits mindlessly doing their mundane tasks, but that sort of thing had already been told before in earlier stories. This just a sidestory from Mick Jones's perspective, not the girl's.

2. Is that what's really going on in their heads? Yes. :P

3. The sex scene is an expanded scenario explained in Superheroine Squad page 324 of "Robotica Erotica" as a side-effect of Blue Controlunit's mental influence, so I thought it was nice to see it, er, "fleshed out".

4. I really don't think the story was meant to be "scary".... more "titilating" and perhaps foreboding, but we already knew the outcome, which would have removed any "terror" that it would have had anyway. Concerning their boobs, I think they're fine. They are Metrobay girls, after all, and apparently got a healthy dose of the nutrient-enriched water that made its women so "boobalicious."

5. I don't think any more conversions were necessary. Raquel and Patricia were the 'star' victims of this short story. If you need more, earlier chapters Operation Resurrection show a few more, and pretty much ever Superheroine went through the exact same process.

6. I don't think Sentius ever quite got to the "assemble the army" point (almost, but not quite), and ultimately the civilian robounits were shown a few times doing their background mundane tasks, but they were never a primary focus. Just facless drones who took a backseat to the Controlunits.

It's still nice to see a differing response. :) I think the focus of this story was just to show the civilian side of "Night of the Drones", which it did admirably. And there's always the chance that Doc and Finister may revisit these ideas down the road and add in those things you felt were missing. I understand you can only fit so much content into one update at a time.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Doc: Thanks for being understanding of the fact that some of your fans have differing opinions as to what appeals to them. If a person only gets positive feedback, then they get a wrong impression as to what everyone enjoys.

Trishbot:
1) The robotunits performing their tasks is almost non-existent in the stories in my opinion. Also, I would have prefered the victims' perspectives instead of an outside observer's.

2) Doc never commented, and he's the author. Therefore , I can only assume that is your opinion as a fan. My opinion would be "no", that there is more going on, especially before conversion has commenced.

3) The page you refer to (I'm looking at it as I type.) may explain the "how" but not the "why" of such activity. For me, the reasoning is never explained well enough in this or the other related series.

4) Not every man likes huge boobs. I think they are too big, and because of that they women's figures are less attactive than what they could be. I'm just asking Doc (as a customer of his artistic product) to consider catering to a broader variety of body types for his female characters to maximize their appeal to the greatest number of fans. That's not an unreasonable request.

5 & 6) I find the robounit characters more appealing than the superheroines, so I would have liked to have seen more of them.

Thanks you two for the dialog. If Doc returns to the series, I hope it will be with an alternate ending where the evil computer and its drones win.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:51 am
Arch-Criminal

Trishbot:
1) The robotunits performing their tasks is almost non-existent in the stories in my opinion. Also, I would have prefered the victims' perspectives instead of an outside observer's.

2) Doc never commented, and he's the author. Therefore , I can only assume that is your opinion as a fan. My opinion would be "no", that there is more going on, especially before conversion has commenced.

3) The page you refer to (I'm looking at it as I type.) may explain the "how" but not the "why" of such activity. For me, the reasoning is never explained well enough in this or the other related series.

4) Not every man likes huge boobs. I think they are too big, and because of that they women's figures are less attactive than what they could be. I'm just asking Doc (as a customer of his artistic product) to consider catering to a broader variety of body types for his female characters to maximize their appeal to the greatest number of fans. That's not an unreasonable request.

5 & 6) I find the robounit characters more appealing than the superheroines, so I would have liked to have seen more of them.

It's cool, hun. I'm not raggin' on you or anything. I was just throwing out my take too.

1) Yeah, it's a fact there's not much mindless behind-the-scenes stuff with the drones. If you want to see some of that, I suggest some of the chapters of "Hostile Takeover", which has some drones do a lot of building and manual labor.

2) I was being silly. I have no idea. Though if a machine is supposed to make women mindless slaves, I'd imagine they'd just be that: mindless, with the only thoughts being of their instructions. You're right, I didn't write it, so I can't confirm this....

3) That hasn't fully been explained, but Doc's been working that into his story for awhile now, with Alpha Woman's powers changing since the "shower scene" in "Superheroine Squad" to the recent "Tough Love" story. Why the sex scene though? Sentius is a horny robot. :P He was made that way in "Carnal Knowledge" by Dr. Twisted and has developed a fondness and great interest in human sex.

4) There are boobs of all sizes in Metrobay. My boyfriend just did a comparison shot of most of the women's chest sizes. :P Some are big, some are small, some are average. My boobs themselves are on the larger size (32D), so I might be biased.... though I might be a tad upset if you hated on my figure for that "problem". :P For smaller boobs, check out Belinda, Enchantress, Spellweaver, or Goldwing, who are probably more in line "realistically".

5-6) That's understandable, and they did just get their own mini-story, but it's not a superhero site with heroines in peril for nothing. :D

Lotsa luv, hun. And, yeah, totally, "what if" stories are awesome!

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 pm
HIPComix Artist

Trish, who let you off your leash? Bad girl, bad. Don't scare away the new guy. :D

Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:31 pm
Profile YIM
HIPComix Artist

Thanks for the honest feedback, zekewhipper.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:14 pm
Forum Rookie

I have to agree with the Zeke where I have also always thought that the breasts in Metrobay are too excessive. Several of the comics deal with the controlled women having their already generous endowments blown up to preposterous proportions; in my mind it would make such a story scene much more exciting to take a more normal women and inflate her than one that is already supersized to begin with. This reasoning explains my liking of Belinda for she seems to be the only semi normal looking woman in the entire Metrobay universe.

Since most of the characters are already this way perhaps another one of your ‘back-in-time’ issues can be created to explain the Apex plot to contaminate the water supply and its subsequent affects on all the women of Metrobay. I have been a member here for a while now and this issue has bugged me enough to finaly post in the forums for the first time.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:15 pm
HIPComix Artist

Man, if you guys don't like big breasts in Metrobay, you'd better stay far away from anything Uroboros does. :P

I'm joking about that. Read his stuff. It's breastacular.

My own two cents is that I don't really mind the boobs. Well, that might not be true, I adore the boobs, and I know I'm not the only "breast" man around. While even I think some women are a bit "excessive" (Ms. Metrobay, I'm looking at you), I'm pretty content with the majority of the cast. In a city where all the women are SUPPOSED to be highly developed physically, there are still quite a few "average" girls, like Marcy Smith/Silver Satin, the examples Trish said, and many secondary characters like Mayor Turner and Warden Smith.

That said, I concur that it would be nice to finally have an official story explicitely state the effect of the water-treatment plan, perhaps in the pages of "Original Sin."

But now we're getting off topic. "Hot Summer's Night" was my favorite chapter ever and I personally didn't have a single qualm about it (except perhaps that idiot Officer Jones' uncanny ability to be a complete dumbass... just like me.)

Nice to see so many new faces, btw.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Post response
draygo wrote:
I have been a member here for a while now and this issue has bugged me enough to finaly post in the forums for the first time.

Hello Draygo, welcome to the forums! I am glad to see you step out of the shadows and join us, even if it took something that you didn't like for you to do so. That's perfectly fine, of course. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, particularly if you're paying your hard-earned money to read our comics.

I think Zeke said it best that "If a person only gets positive feedback, then they get a wrong impression as to what everyone enjoys." That is so very true. It actually means a lot to me that both of you seem to care enough for these stories that you would take the time to express your concerns instead of just giving up and leaving, never to be heard from again. Finister and I both appreciate the comments, and we take all of them into consideration equally when self-evaluating our work.

As for the concerns about breast size, your complains are valid but I'm afraid they have vast potential to fall on deaf ears. :wink: I think it's no secret that Finister and I (and Akonkid... and Uroboros...) are all breast men. We also realize that not everyone else is. Like Trishbot and Akonkid mentioned earlier, we have tried to mix in a few 'normal' sized women such as Jade Lightning or Belinda Giolla to offer something for everyone. We also concocted a two-bit explanation for the copious amounts of mammary tissue bouncing around Metrobay all the time. It may be a little corny, but we figured that a half-baked excuse was better than none at all.

As far as "Hot Summers' Night" goes, the intent of those issues was to show the HER invasion from the POV of Metrobay civilians. I originally was going to use Patricia as the voice of the story but decided to use Mick instead because I had previously established in "Superheroine Squad" that the mesmerized pre-robounits didn't have much capacity for independent thought once they were enthralled by the HER ray. Since I wanted to tell the story in first person, I was for--d to choose someone other than Patricia or Raquel as my 'voice'. That's why we never really hear the inner dialogue of any of the factory women save for perhaps Silver Satin or Pink Pussycat, because once they are hit with the HER ray they don't really HAVE an internal dialogue other than what Sentius tells them to think. Does that make sense?

Again, thanks for the comments. Please feel free to keep sending them in. I take on all comers! :D

- Doc

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I'm glad I'm not alone on the boob issue. Incidentally, I've always been more of an "ass & legs man", so that may explain some of my bias. That, and the fact that I'm a quality before quantity guy. That leads however to the comment I made about positive feedback. My being a quality engineer by trade was coming through.

Thanks to Doc and Finister for listening. Allow me to give you some pointers about surveys if you ever decide to administer one on one of your storys. Instead of asking people how you DID on your product, ask them "What did you expect to recieve and didn't?" (or something along those lines). You will be amazed at how different the responses can be to that approach to the questioning. It can give you insight into issues that are important to people that may never have occured to you, because you are asking them questions about what they wanted as opposed to what they got.

As a person who does their own occasional fembot photo manipulations [as Doc should be able to attest to, (think Hypnopics Collective)] I understand how the artists and writers have to make themselves happy with their work first, or they simply stop doing it. Hence, I really don't anticipate much change in how they do the stories. Therefore, I will simply put my two cents in. I like women in shiny metallic catsuits (especially silver) with matching boots (preferably thigh highs) and gloves, plus sexy matching tight hoods or helmets. So it is no surprize when I say the robounits were my favorite. They have been an inspiration on the photo manips I've done of my wife wearing her silver catsuits and the like.

Oh well, I'm yabbering on and should stop. Have a good day everybody.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:18 pm
HIPComix Artist

Well, to Doc's credit he does "Want Your Critiques":

http://www.hipcomix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9074804

That might be a good place to flesh out your preferences.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:58 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

As a person who does their own occasional fembot photo manipulations [as Doc should be able to attest to, (think Hypnopics Collective)] I understand how the artists and writers have to make themselves happy with their work first, or they simply stop doing it. Hence, I really don't anticipate much change in how they do the stories.

I definitely remember your excellent work from The Collective, and I was happy to see you make your way over here.

Here's the thing: I know I can't please everyone. Even though most of us have at least one fantasy or fetish in common, we all also differ in a lot of ways, and it is probably impossible to hit the nail on the head for everyone all the time. I do try, though. We all do. The best thing we can hope for is that each of our readers finds some little nugget in each story to latch onto, something that keeps them satisfied and coming back for more. It can be silver suits, or big breasts, or great legs, or whatever. If we can do that, then we have done our jobs.

I do think it's fair to say that we keep our ear to the ground pretty regularly and do our best to adapt to the tastes of our readers. I think the members request comics are a big part of that. You do make one excellent point, though. I have always thought that when this truly becomes a 'job' and isn't any fun to do anymore, then I will walk away. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I do take comments and opinions into account, but I write about what I think is fun and exciting first and foremost, and hope that other people feel the same way.

- Doc

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW