Welcome to the Hipcomix Forums

HOME

FREE AREA
- JOIN - MEMBERS - LINKS - CONTACT - TUTORIALS - FORUMS - UPDATES

WEBMA$TER$

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:50 am

I want YOUR critiques! 
Forum Moderator

Post I want YOUR critiques!
Hey everyone... I was doing some thinking the other day, and I am going to ask for something unusual. I know that most of the comments about my work here and in the galleries have been overwhelmingly positive, and for that I am very grateful.

Here's the thing, though: I know I am not perfect, and neither is my storytelling. So, I am asking for anyone who has any questions, problems, complaints, or criticisms of my stories to step forward and let me know about them. I promise that I will neither be offended nor defensive when I read your remarks, because I am asking for these critiques so I may better know what you all are looking for in a comic and what I can do to make my work more appealing.

If it wasn't for you all, we wouldn't be able to make these comics and share them with you. I truly believe that. So, in the spirit of free and open discussion I invite you all to drop a message here and tell me what I can do to get better at my chosen craft.

I sincerely hope you all take advantage of this opportunity, and I look forward to reading what you have to say.

- Doc

Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Evil Genius

Well it's not just you but one critique I have are the mistakes in the Grammar.

I like the scenarios of the heroines being captured but I think the PEOPLE should some sort of poll to voice their choices of capture and torture of heroines OCCASIONALLY.

My only other other complaint is I think we should have like a ONCE a WEEK chatroom session on this forum. Like for example one artist shares 10 to minutes of his time so he can receive his feedback immediately.

But the chatroom session shouldn't be set on fixed schedules, BUT WHENEVER THE ARTIST HAS TO TIME. :wink:

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Profile YIM
HIPComix Artist

Lol. Alright, honestly now, Doc's great, but he asked and I shall answered:

Repetition - It doesn't matter HOW sexy the mind control is, if it's overdone it loses its punch. The initial mind control of Valient Grrl way back in the first chapters was amazing, but by the time we got to Brown Sugar, we knew just what to expect. Doc does a good job at mixing things up a bit and throwing you for a loop from time to time, but we technically had three girls go through the same procedure in the first arc with Dr. Twisted and basically every girl go through the same mind control arc with Sentius. The only thing that mixed things up was that some struggles were harder than others (Brown Sugar, Alpha Woman, and Pink Pussycat really put up a fight compared to everyone else.) While I certainly LIKED the wide-spread mind control and can hardly complain about seeing some of my personal faves go under, a bit more of a build-up, or variation in procedure, would have been appreciated.

Story, character, and sex balance - I know Doc works hard to find a balance, but he also has this annoying habit of throwing in some really great characters (such as Jade Lightning and Blackout) and then letting them disappear into the background just to increase the "body count." I might be in the minority, but I prefer quality over quantity (though is it too much to ask for both?), and I'm really glad Doc and Finister are doing quick and easy "side stories" to flesh out (pun unintentionally intended) several characters like RollerGrrl who never really got a fair shot before.

A bit more action wouldn't hurt either. Not violence, per se, but action. So far, the action scenes have been wonderful.

And that's about it for criticisms. I really have to struggle to think up even those, since I did enjoy the stories a whole lot.

Now, to counter those criticisms, here's a few things I think that DO work very well.

Diversity - now this is one thing nobody can accuse Doc of not having. He goes one step beyond the blonde, brunette and redhead trio he started with (Valient Grrl, Alpha Woman, and Marcy) and really branched out. Now we have a very rich couple of universes filled with girls of various ethnicities, body sizes, and languages. Besides that, each girl tends to have incredibly unique looks that stand toe-to-toe with the best of the best in character design. From the Irish gals Notre Dame and Sparrow in Mad Science, to the sexy French Yvette, to the Chinese short hottie Jade Lightning, they're all winners.

Personalities - Beyond looking different, everybody acts different as well, which is very, very good. With a cast of over two dozen spanning two different series, that's impressive. From the cautious, smart, and timid Marcy Smith to the fiery, headstrong Sparrow to the maternal, cool-headed, veteran Ms. Metrobay, they all successfully resist becoming the all-too-tempting "Wonder Woman" clone.

Overall, it's tough to actually critique this work, because on one hand, Doc's got this niche down pat. He has a very workable, winning formula, and to deviate from that might not work out so well. But on the other than, I think he's talented enough that he could really do things beyond what he's "comfortable" with and throw in some truly original, inventive storytelling into the mix. Honestly, I don't read for the sex or nudity; I read them for the in-depth characters, termanology, and world, with the prerequisite humor, drama, and action to drive them forward.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:34 pm
Profile YIM
Evil Genius

I agree on the things u pointed Akonkid. :wink:

Some more action would be good. But I loved the Mind Control Series though.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE HEROINES FIGHT AND GET KO'D BY A PUNCH, KICK OR SOME DRUGGING VIA INJECTION AND SOME CHLOROFORMINGS IN HAND TO HAND COMBAT. If the heroines are going down have them put up a fight instead of being held oor have the villainesses use their already captured heroines as hostages to stop resisting.

But other than that I enjoy the work and the stories :twisted:

Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:40 pm
Profile YIM
Super Villain

Disclamer: To all who read this; this is not a slam, a flame or the such. This is a constructive criticism to help Doc Robo.

I'd have to say that my only critique is very similar to Akonkid's critique. I know that Doc has the template for the mind control and robotization format down pat, he is a bit of a master at setting it up in his stories. But as he writes the next story he needs to evolve and develope the way he presents the story and characters more. Now that he has mastered more than the bascis, he needs to keep making them more intriguing. Evolve the story by add more specific detail to the plot, the background, the characters. When the writer doesn't give more intriguing details as they create stories the stories become repetitive. Kind of like romance novels, you read one or two, you've pretty much read them all. So why do people keep reading them, especially women. Because they get caught up in the details of the story and/or the characters. Its almost like they can believe that it could actually happen in another time or place. They are not repetitve, they are intriguing. People keep reading them for that reason. The only time people quite reading them is when they get tired of the genre.

I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. The first story I saw that Doc did was the first Twisted Tales so I'll use the Twisted Tales stories to make the example:

The story catches my eye and gets my interest by present a strikenly beautifully designed poser superheroine blindly falling into a twisted villian's grasp who mind wipes and robotizes her. It then moves on and presents the real target, the senior partner to the now robotized junior. She's taking down by the villian because of her captured partner. The take down and conversion were similar but with more added detail. She fought back and struggled, plus there was the recaptured of the first captured superheroine. From there the Marcy capture, the Gloria capture, Ms. Metrobay's side story capture, etc. all added different angles and details to a story that built intrigue at each turn.

The idea presented in Twisted Tales 2 got my attention, but sadly all I really found myself only wanting to see Ms. Metrobays conversion. All the other conversions just seemed somewhat repetitive. The story did present some detail, but not enough to really keep my interest as much as the first one. With that being said, I did keep up with the story in anticipation of Ms. Metrobay's capture and I did want to see more each week, hence all the posts I made about it. But the only real cool twist added to the second one was bringing Pussycat into mix and introducing Omega Woman. The rest seems a bit predictable, not that I didn't mind it much.

Doc's better example of what I'm talking about here is the Mad Science trilogy. It has done a good job of keeping intrigue working at each step of the way.

With this being said, I can only add that I see Doc as a master of the mind control/robotization genre of superheroine fanfiction. I can only hope and aspire to someday reach the level of his story telling abilities.

Metrobay Encyclopedia entry: http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/Ameri ... zon?t=anon

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Super Villain

I must add that I really do like the way that the Grime City stories are shaping up and developing and they most definitely have stolen interest away to stay intrigued each month waiting for the next one to be posted. Great job on them if I haven't said so before now.

Metrobay Encyclopedia entry: http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/Ameri ... zon?t=anon

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Post great stuff so far
Let me start by saying 'thank you' to Akonkid, Dumbtime, and Ashleychloroformed for taking the time to write out such detailed and helpful critiques. They are very much appreciated. Rest assured that I do not take your posts as any sort of slam or flame. If I didn't want to hear your honest opinions, I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. :D

The primary topic that I see early on is the perceived repitition in my stories, particularly "Superheroine Squad". That criticism is fair and not without merit. In my own defense, I kind of meant for it to be that way. The original point of the series was the 'mass production' theme, and how the HER drones were just cogs in a living, thinking machine. We wanted the heroines to retain a touch of their individuality even after transformation, hence the multicolored suits and accompanying controlunit designations.

We did try to change up the transformations a bit, in order to keep you all interested over the nearly 500 page and nine month run. That is why some heroines were allowed to struggle more than others, and why we added in the scenes with Silver Satin in the beginning and Super Freak later on. Even Alpha Woman's seduction of Snowflake was borne out of that desire. Could we have added more variety to the drone transformations? Probably. I can certainly assure you that we will strive to keep things fresh down the road, adding more variety to our mind control while still attempting to remain loyal to the tried and true methods that you all have come to know us for.

Please keep the coments coming. I find them fascinating and hope more people will take a minute to add their thoughts to the discussion.

- Doc

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arch-Criminal

Post Re: great stuff so far
Doctor Robo wrote:
The primary topic that I see early on is the perceived repitition in my stories, particularly "Superheroine Squad". That criticism is fair and not without merit. In my own defense, I kind of meant for it to be that way. The original point of the series was the 'mass production' theme, and how the HER drones were just cogs in a living, thinking machine. We wanted the heroines to retain a touch of their individuality even after transformation, hence the multicolored suits and accompanying controlunit designations.

We did try to change up the transformations a bit, in order to keep you all interested over the nearly 500 page and nine month run. That is why some heroines were allowed to struggle more than others, and why we added in the scenes with Silver Satin in the beginning and Super Freak later on. Even Alpha Woman's seduction of Snowflake was borne out of that desire. Could we have added more variety to the drone transformations? Probably. I can certainly assure you that we will strive to keep things fresh down the road, adding more variety to our mind control while still attempting to remain loyal to the tried and true methods that you all have come to know us for.

Well to play Devil's Advocate :twisted: I like the repetitive nature of the transformations, after all your stories are about diabolical geniuses turning women and superheroines into robots. Nothing wrong with them all being very similar, after all don't we always want more?

I always wish for more scenes where the villain uses his new toys to do things, whether steal more equipment or money/resources, spy on his opponents, capture more converts, build new hideouts, etc. One reason Carnal Knowledge and Mission Control were two of my favourite sections of Twisted Tales. :wink:

Keep the tales coming Doc...and having Finister illustrate.

P

leto17 wrote:
I second pelusa1ca on all counts.

Small time villian working my way up the ranks of Metrobay's crime organizations...

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 pm